What is STCW?
Standards of Training and Certification of Watchkeeping
An international change in training procedures requiring people with prior experience to demonstrate proficiency in basic safety or obtain practical skills through a structured learning program.
Who needs STCW training?
Personnel working on the following vessels if they operate seaward of the boundary line(The boundary line separates inland and near coastal waters, for licensing purposes.)
- All personnel operating on foreign / international voyages, regardless of the size of the vessel
- Commercial Vessels over 200 gross tons.
- Passenger vessels subject to 46 CFR sub-chapter H (over 100GT)
- Uninspected towing vessels that are subject to the Officers Competency Convention.
STCW Training Modules
Professional quality US Coast Guard Approved STCW training is now available on a scheduled basis in our Red Hook training facility located at American Yacht Harbor, St. Thomas, USVI.
- * STCW training is especially important for those vessels crossing into BVI waters.
- * A total of 7 distinct STCW courses are available!
- * Approved courses are in accordance with ISM Code, applicable STCW 95 Regulations and 46 CFR 10.205 requirements.
Three-Day BST (Basic Safety Training) Courses:
Basic Fire Fighting
Course includes lecture and practical training on the fire ground fighting fires with various extinguishing methods.
Course includes classroom and in-the-water practice with water survival techniques and lifesaving equipment including life rafts and survival suits.
Elementary First Aid
Course covers basic first aid techniques for injury assessment, immediate care and CPR.
Personal Safety/Social Responsibility
Course includes basic emergency procedures, alarm signal recognition, lock out/tag out, personal protective gear and social responsibility.
Advanced STCW Courses:
For complete details on this course visit: Crowd Management Page
Crisis Management and Human Behavior
For complete details on this course visit: Crisis Management Page
Security Officer: Vessel/Company/Port Facility
For complete details on this course visit: Security Officer Page
STCW / USCG Approved STCW Course Requirements:
Course Attendance:100% required
All testing is conducted through The Captain School.
You DO NOT test with the Coast Guard.
Certification: Upon successful completion (attendance and passing required exams), you will receive Captain School Certificate of Training.
Courses offered through the Captains School in the USVI